Friday, March 30, 2007

The Yarn Harlot

Tonight at 7:00 pm The Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, will be on the south side of Pittsburgh at Joseph-Beth, signing copies of her new book Casts Off. I will be one of the many who are going to stand in line to show full appreciation to this amazing knitter. I know that Pittsburgh cannot compete with New York in the "representing" factor, but I am sure that we will give it a good try. As they are collecting hats for distribution, I thought I would show my contribution. It's knitted, using my own pattern, in Orchid Line by Harrisville out of New Hampshire, the yarn is a mixture of mohair, silk and fine wool, and it felts wonderfully. The colour is cope blue, but has a small soft blue fleck at intermitent intervals, that doesn't really show after felting. I needle felted the brim in an undyed roving, and included a fun butterfly hat pin.

Judging from the photo gallery out of New York, most hats are knitted toques, in fair isle, intarsia, or stripes, I am hoping that my felted bowler doesn't feel out of place.

My "representing", socks on needles - Seacoast Panda in Surf. I hope others as knitting in line, I know I will be. This is first time I have used this sock yarn and it's great (even if it is a little dry to knit with), it's a combination of wool and bamboo.

I hope to be able to post pictures tomorrow as I am taking my camera, and my husband, he's buying dinner.

I didn't knit the rabbit a lavender dress, I knitted him a purple sweater, it's a little big, especially around the neck. I didn't have lavender in the stash, but this left over purple made a nice little cable polar neck.

I will be tweaking both patterns until I come up with a size I like.

While I was finishing the sweater I watched a movie on TCM, "They Shall Have Music", all about a deliquent boy who finds his way through classical music, not a great film, expect that Jascha Heifetz plays himself and you have the thrill of seeing and hearing him play - breath taking.

2 comments:

Arianwen said...

he is gorgeous! looks like hamilton off "maggie and the ferocious beast" I feel inspired to have a go! Maybe when I get back from Belgium.

Janie said...

I like the hat.....and the bunny looks cute in his sweater or jumper as we'd say over here in the UK.